A new look for Google Search for mobile

Thursday, February 11, 2010 | 1:51 PM

We're always looking for ways to improve your user experience with our products. If you use Google Search with a web browser on your Android-powered device or iPhone, you'll see some changes to the look of the buttons and toolbars to a style you may now be familiar with on Mobile Gmail, Latitude, Calendar and Tasks. As with these Google apps, the color contrast of the style now adds more focus to the search results of the page, and the header controls are bigger to make them easier to touch.

The Google logo has been moved up to the top of the search results page, allowing us to increase the width and height of the search box. You can now more easily touch the larger box to enter a new search, the new big bold font makes it easier to see what you have entered, and the wider box helps you see more characters at once.


We have also given our homepage some love. While this got the bigger search box last month, we have created a new search button beside the search box rather than below, so when search suggestions appear, they no longer hide the button.


Just go to www.google.com on your phone to try it out, and let us know what you think.

16 comments:

AhynesG1 said...

I was wondering when we'd get a post about these changes :). I love the new look, much nicer looking. Made me wanna keep searching. Nice improvements.

jai said...

I wish you googlers would realise that the browser in Symbian devices like the n97 is every bit as capable as iphone and android!

It's just a matter of flipping the "user agent" switch and we could use these sites too. I KNOW this because sites like this one:

http://www.google.com/m/ig?uipref=6

Designed for the iphone work brilliantly on my phone.

There is a world outside the US! More people use symbian than iphone and android combined!

Pederson said...

grr... BlackBerry...

JD said...

I was thinking exactly what Jai said -- the Symbian browser is standards-compliant and would work fine with all these amazing web interfaces that Google is producing for the "iPhone elite". I would love to be able to use all of these things, but I am not buying another phone.

Dave said...

I completely agree with Jai and Pederson, why no love for Symbian or BlackBerry? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to load so well on blackberry, but surely this would be simple to rectify?

romanovskis said...

I use Opera mobile 10 on symbian and want to use webinterface for iphone too.

ハム said...

And I want to use Opera mobile 10 on my android device. So much for that.

New Digits said...

yaa that's great, simple and fast

Pedro Rodrigues said...

Also seconding Jays opinion on Google services not supporting Symbian.

Now, every time there is an announcement, its iphone/android only , when there are a lot more Symbians out there, and as capable for most of those services as those other ones.

Snoobyx said...

It's not appear on my iPhone. Many of apps are with new design, but Web Search and Images are still with the old design. Trying to remove the cache, but this doesn't help. :(

PP: Sorry for the bad english.

Anonymous said...

Is there no way to make search results from the built-in google box in mobile Safari look like this? I only get this look if I manually go to google.com and enter my search.

papayalily said...

Please fix the Blackberry problem quickly. I'm dying without a proper Google Search

Ondřej said...

I have a problem with Google in my iPhone. I still see old google look and I don´t know how i get new look. Thanks for help

Snoobyx said...

Me too...

Koushik Amancherla said...

I tried installing on my Nokia N97 but it says "it's not compatible with phone. but install anywayz? do you want to continue.."
any idea y this is happening..???

i tried downloading from m.google.com/search on my phone browser.

Slick said...

Wow, thanks for the bigger search bar! That change has made a huge difference, it was so annoying before to edit anything in the search bar.